Supernatural is one of those TV shows you either watch (or watched) religiously or you’ve never seen it at all. If you fall into the latter category, we urge you to watch the first five seasons (opinions after that differ) and what better way to enjoy them than chowing down into some delicious lunches inspired by foods seen in the show?
Sibling duo Sam and Dean Winchester have very differing tastes in food, so we decided on two recipes for this episode of Bite Club – Sam’s Health Quake Salad Shake that Dean turns up his nose at in utter disgust, and Dean’s favourite mini philly cheese steak sandwiches. Both make great summer lunches, or even better food to serve at parties!
Here’s what you’ll need to do!
Health Quake Salad Shake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins or less
Your favourite salad leaves (we used sweet leaf salad and spinach)
1 x Beef tomato (or any you like really!)
1/2 Red onion
and whatever other salad items you’d like to add
Cooked chicken (or prawn, tofu, boiled egg or other kind of protein, to your preference)
For the dressing:
3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
Lemon juice, 2 tablespoons or half a fresh lemon
1/2 teaspoon Dried dill
1/3 cup Olive oil
1.5 teaspoons Sugar
Salt & pepper
You’ll also need a lidded container to shake it up in, plus a whisk or blender for the dressing
This is a ridiculously easy meal to make, just four simple steps!
- Dice your salad ingredients and keep them separate for aesthetic layering later
- Mix your dressing ingredients together in a bowl and either blend with a whisk or with your blender until you’ve got a creamy dressing
- Layer in your container – dressing, salad items, protein item, dressing, and so on – until full!
- When you’re ready to eat, put the lid on the container and shake it all up!
Mini Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Thin fillet steak
Hoagie rolls (we used seeded wholemeal)
1/2 White Onion
1 Bell Pepper (we used 1/2 of two colours)
5 closed cup mushrooms
Salt and pepper
Frying olive oil
For the Cheese Sauce:
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mature cheddar cheese
1/2 cup soft cream cheese
Salt and pepper
- Slice your steaks into long thin strips and roll them in salt and ground pepper
- Slice your peppers, mushrooms and onion thinly
- Sautee your peppers and mushrooms for two minutes or until slightly browned
- Caramelise your onions by frying in a little oil until soft and brown
- Turn on your hob to its highest setting (STEAK TIP! Heat the pan with no oil in it until it’s hot enough to sizzle, then add oil) and fry steak over a high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Butter your hoagie rolls and layer steak, onion, peppers and mushrooms
- For your sauce, take a clean pan and melt a small amount of butter. Add your milk and stir until mixed, then quickly add your two cheeses. Stir in salt and pepper and allow to thicken before taking off the heat and serving immediately.
- Pour cheese over each roll and close, then enjoy hot!